Thursday, June 14, 2007

Someone pass me an ice cold, imported J.W. Dundee's.

I really don't think I expect too much from stadium concessionaires, but being asked to pay a buck more for a J.W. Dundee's at a Rochester Rhinos game on the basis that it's an import is fucking retarded.

You see, J.W. Dundee's is brewed at the High Falls Brewing Company, about six blocks from the stadium where the USL Division 1 soccer team plays its home games.

Granted, the concession company the Rhinos use, Delaware North, is the shittiest, most backward in the industry. Their employees show up untrained (it'll take you 25 minutes to get a chicken sandwich out of them), their supervisors clueless. But surely a large enough number of annoyed fans have brought their attention to the fact that DUNDEE'S IS A FRIGGIN' ROCHESTER BEER for them to do something other than arrogantly say 'Well we classify it as an import.'

By the way, these geographically challenged idiots classify Labatt Blue as a 'domestic.'

My advice, drink before and after the game. Leave the concession company to rot in its own inventory. At least then it won't taste like the cheap plastic cup in which it's poured.

-Mark

5 comments:

Man About Town said...

Funny you should mention that. I went to my first Rhinos game of the year last weekend and was happy to see that they had Dundee's Hefeweizen on tap. However, when I went to order it, I was met with a dumb look and an even dumber question: "is that beer?". I found myself surprised that they knew what Honey Brown was. That being said, at least Delaware North sells local beers unlike Aramark (the jerks at the Blue Cross Arena).

'Don' Cialini said...

Just another reason to hate Soccer!

Mark said...

Honey Brown has enjoyed significant sales outside our region. It's a shame, really.

Anyway, Man About Town, maybe you could do a post on the decline of the Rhinos? The'yre a shadow of what they once were to the Rochester community.

Anonymous said...

How much did you have to pay for the Dundee's? At Fenway Park in Boston the beer is $7.00! And you get your pick of Bud... or Bud Lite. A few paltry stands do sell Sam Adams but that's more expensive and a smaller cup (looks like 10 oz. but I could be wrong)

It's scary mathematics: three crappy Fenway beers equals the cost of a case of decent beer in a liquor store.

Man About Town said...

Mark, I'll do some research and see if I can angle myself a rant-worthy post. There is definitely a story there though.

Scott, if I'm not mistaken, I paid $4.50 for a pint of Dundee's at Paetec. Compare that with the $8.25 I paid for a small Miller Lite at McAfee Coliseum in Oakland earlier this year. Thank God for minor league sports!