Friday, September 08, 2006

Friday's overrated beer: Carlsberg



Carlsberg is one of the great names in brewing. They perfected a lot of what goes into modern lagers. They've funded incredible art museums. Truly a class company.

Too bad their beer is so damn average. It's very bland, mildly skunky,absolutely unmemorable. That's the best I can say about it. If you want a good Danish lager, go for Tuborg (which is owned by Carlsberg). Problem is, Tuborg is much harder to find in the States.

Even Carlsberg isn't sold on their own brand. The slogan is "Probably the best beer in the world." Probably? Who the hell is their ad agency? I guess, with a beer as average as Carlsberg, you don't want to overstate the case. People might ask for their money back.

-Mark

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sort of felt that way about the Warsteiner last night. I didn't think it was even worth $3. I realise that didn't stop me from drinking lots it-although that gallon stein you had was impressive.

'Don' Cialini said...

Get a towel sparkle anne. Mark is just compensating anyway.