Monday, January 09, 2006

"I won't drink anything I can see through."

"I won't drink anything I can see through." You ever run into this self-styled beer expert? Nothing like a quick smug dismissal of nearly the entire gamut of ales and lagers to kick off what will undoubtedly be a fascinating and two-sided conversation.

If you can't see through it, you're basically drinking Guinness or Murphy's. Enjoy. I myself prefer roaming from nation to nation, culture to culture. Perhaps I'll try the rich Vienna-style lagers that took root in Mexico, or maybe a Biere de Garde, the only style the wine-loving French even come close to brewing well.

Each beer style reflects the geography, agriculture, and mindset of the place where it was brewed. Within these beers, you find an insight into culture, into how people connect with each other and their surroundings in daily life.

I like stout as much as the next guy, but it only takes one trip to the beer store to discover that there's so much more. Just because the beer is opague doesn't mean the mindset has to be, as well.

-Mark

No comments: