Saturday, December 10, 2005

The good, the bad, and more of the bad

Reflecting upon last night, it's probably not a good idea to serve Spaten Optimator in pints.

Optimator is a Doppelbock, a very delicious, very malty, very big beer. If you're unfamiliar with the style, it'll knock you on your ass. Anyway, I onloy had two pints.

The beer at the party I subsequently attended, however, was Yuengling Lager. There's been a bit of a promtional push for this beer in the northeast, and it's easy to find and cheap. My friends swear by Yuengling over Labatt Blue (the other tolerable cheap lager around here), but I have yet to be convinced. For lagers from Pennsylvania, gimme an Iron City any day. It's refreshing, and I'm a sucker for the aluminum bottles.

2 comments:

SJ Austin said...

I swear Yuengling used to be better before it was so easily exported from PA. It seems much more watery these days.

Mark said...

It's probably only a temporary promotional blitz. I wouldn't expect to see Yuengling so commonly available in a year's time.